How to Stay Safe and Healthy During the Holiday Season
Walker Physical Therapy and Pain Center wants to make sure you have a fun and safe holiday season!
Some Shopping and Decorating Tips from Dr. Grace Walker, Physical & Occupational Therapist and Nutritionist:
- Distribute the weight of shopping bags equally on both sides of your body.
- Consider using a fanny pack or small back pack.
- Wear comfortable shoes; carrying packages while wearing high heels on hard surfaces can contribute to foot and ankle injuries.
- Don’t lug overstuffed shopping bags for extended periods.
- Test an object’s weight before you lift it by pushing with your foot
- If an object is too heavy for you to lift, then ask someone for help
- Wrap presents on a table instead of bent over on the floor; being hunched over for long periods of time can lead to low back pain
DO’S AND DON’TS FOR BACK PAIN:
- DO use ice 20-30 minutes before bed.
- DO pull your belly button into your spine (iso-abs) and breathe.
- DO consult your physician and Walker Physical Therapy if your condition is long lasting or gets worse.
- DON’T twist while holding something in your arms.
- DON’T bend at the waist, squat in instead.
- DON’T hold your breath while exerting force.
Call Walker Physical Therapy & Pain Center to schedule an appointment with an expert physical therapist today!!
1111 W. Town & Country Rd. Ste. 1
Orange, CA 92868